Monday, June 1, 2009

Holy Geez!

Alright, so I am beyond exhausted right now...if this does not make sense, I apologize. It is 9:30 at night on Monday in Uganda but it is 12:30 p.m. for y'all. I have not showered since Saturday morning at 5:30 a.m. in Baton Rouge. I am having a wonderful time.
Yesterday we spent the day in London. We were all so exhausted from not being able to sleep on the plane the night before so we fell asleep in Hyde Park for a while. I saw Buckingham Palace and Big Ben. That was exciting. We arrived in Uganda this morning at about 7 o'clock their time and we did not stop for a minute. Again, the jet lag is painful :) But we went to the embassy and we also visited a school here in Kampala. AND!!! For all the Invisible Children fans out there...I met Jacob! From the video! I was starstruck! I still can't believe it. He is so sweet and so grown up. He is on level S6 at school which is the equivalent of a senior. He also plans to attend a university next year.
Uganda truly is the pearl of Africa like Winston Churchill said. It reminds me of Honduras and Brazil a great deal. Tomorrow we are going to the craft market and then we are taking a six hour bus ride to Gulu. Bumpy roads! I will be in Gulu for the remainder of the trip. I will observe next week and then start teaching.
Thursday nights, though, are quiz nights. So we all go to a local pub in Gulu and play trivia! I am so excited about that :)
I have met some incredible people, including the woman who started the branch of Invisible Children called Mend. We will get to tour their facility at some point as well.

I should go...but I love you all and I hope you are having a wonderful summer! I will be in touch soon!
Oh, and there are monkeys just roaming around the hostel right now...crazy tunes!

Take care...peace out!

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe you met Jacob, and monkeys!!
    I agree that is definitely crazy tunes...if one attacks you just be sure to blog about it!!!
    Haha have fun and be safe!!
    -Mallori

    ReplyDelete
  2. monkeys?
    hahah sounds like a good time.
    stay safe and keep us posted!
    -Peyton

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome!! Just so you don't lose contact with America I thought you would like to know that the first trailer for New Moon is all over youtube by now. It is amazing.. but shockingly lacking monkeys. Have fun!! Oh and we got out schedules today.. I don't have you next year :(. I hope you have an great trip to Gulu! Have fun.
    -Sarah Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your having fun! Keep us posted on all the exciting things you get to do! We love you!

    -Tina Azar

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like so much fun! I really hope your having fun and getting everything out of your trip that you thought and hoped you would. I miss you!
    p.s.- i dont have you next year either :(

    Be safeeee!!!!!!!
    -Caroline Sagrera

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Swetman!
    Sounds like you're having a blast!
    I'm jealous, this is such a cool opportunity!
    & YOU GET TO SEE MONKEYS.
    Give all the cool Uganda children a shoutout from me :)
    & I hope you have a trouble making Ugandan student just like me ;)
    Have a blast and keep us posted!
    We're all so proud of you!

    - Catherine Hudson

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so excited and jealous that you get to be in africa right now!! it is only going to get more and more amazing...i love you!

    ps...i loved the random monkeys too ;-)

    ReplyDelete