Saturday, June 6, 2009

This blog took me an hour to post...ENJOY IT!!!

I wrote this blog on Thursday but couldn't post it until today (Saturday). Love y'all!

On Tuesday, we visited the craft market to buy all our gifts. A bit early in the trip but it was the only time we’ll be there. They must’ve been so sad to see me go though because I could not stop buying. I even bought a big woven hat. I may look ridiculous, but I won’t get skin cancer. After the market, we went to visit a youth program in the “ghettos” of Kampala. Don’t worry, we were safe. But the group was started by a local hip-hop artist and they were called the Bavubuka All-Stars. They were amazing. Their passion and their talent was so inspirational and overwhelming. Their purpose is to bring positivity to a generation that has only experienced pain and suffering. Some of the youth performed for us. It was a privilege to be their audience. We were sitting in such a remote area, in a tiny house that had children’s drawings covering up burn marks on the walls, listening to talent that you would hear on the radio or MTV. Very surreal. They also made jewelry and art and even had a screen printing system in the back so we got t-shirts. It was an excellent adventure.
After Bavubuka, we got on the short bus and rode 6 hours to Gulu. The ride was bumpy; although they repaved part of the roads a few years ago for Chogrum (a time when the Queen came to visit). But she didn’t go to Gulu so they didn’t pave that far up. There were also intense speed bumps every 10 feet for about a 5 mile stretch. I’m not lying. It was insane. Every 10 feet! That made for a bumpy, long and hot ride. But it was still enjoyable. This country is incredibly beautiful. Everything is so green and the sky is so blue! When we were almost to Gulu, we crossed the Nile River. The Nile River! It was rapidly rushing and the sight took my breath away. But we were not allowed to take pictures because there were military guards around (even though we couldn’t see them, they were there) and they would confiscate our cameras if we took pictures at that point. As we were arriving in the Gulu District, there were two ginormous trees! I have never seen anything like them. They seemed like two majestic guardians watching over the pathway. I almost felt like we should pay some toll to go through them. Amazing.
Gulu is much different than I had imagined. I thought we would be surrounded by huts and that everything would be very remote. But there are many businesses and the center of Gulu is like a regular town (an African town). When we arrived at the Invisible Children compound (house), we drove up in the driveway and the Gulu IC staff was waiting to greet us. It was overwhelming. I was a bit starstruck because I recognized some of them from the website and the Rescue efforts. Crazy tunes! Still hoping the founders will show up, but I don’t know about that. I’m living in a great house. I’m on the bottom of a three story bunk bed, but my mosquito net is blue so that makes me happy!
Yesterday (Wednesday) we had meetings all day and then went into town for a bit. We learned some of the language. I will be walking a lot! Good thing I brought my TOMS. They are surprisingly comfortable. But they will be red instead of black by the time I get home from all the red dust.
I’ve made good friends with all of my fellow teachers. I asked them if I had an accent and they all gasped…so I’m guessing I do. I’m the only Southern girl in the group, so I stand out with my “y’alls” and my “crazy tunes”. The IC staff called me out on “Geezum Pete’s” last night! It was funny. There is a man here from Texas so my accent pales in comparison to his.
Today we will have more meetings and training. We will hear about the history of the war…anxious about that. It is such a haunting feeling to know that Joseph Kony was in this area where I am at one time tormenting so many. But please don’t worry. I am very safe. The locals appreciate our presence and are very welcoming. We have a guarded house and I will never be alone.
I am safe. I am happy. I am eating very well! I am spraying bug spray every hour. I am taking my medications. I am nervous about meeting my partner teacher tomorrow (Friday), but excited as well. I have a long road of work ahead of me. It will be a very taxing, intense workload, but I will take it one day at a time.
I miss you all and love you even more! I will write again soon.

By the way, my partner teacher is amazing. She said she will take care of me like I am her daughter. I will be working A LOT! 8-5 everyday...at least 5-8 classes a day with 70-80 students in each class! I want to cry...but it will be amzing!

Swetman

4 comments:

  1. so i have tears in my eyes reading this bc i can imagine how amazing and overwhelming and surreal and any other random adjective you can think of this is...it just gets better-i promise! i love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MS. SWETMAN!!!
    OMYGOSH! it sounds like you are having lots of fun! which is good! and see now you did not have to try to fill yourself up with all of my mom's brownies before the trip, you are eating fine! haha!
    and I can't believe The IC staff called you out on “Geezum Pete’s”!
    Its awesome to actually know how to spell that now :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Swetman!!!!!!!
    I am so so so excited for you. I just spent some time reading your whole blog because I just got home from a vacation. It sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. I cannot wait to hear more from you. I know the children will love you and you will meet many friends. have fun and try not to CREEP too much. LOL.
    love you lots and stay safe.
    Jeanne Logarbo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa
    I am so proud of you. I love reading this and picturing you in this amazing place. I know those kids will see what an awesome person you are. Enjoy yourself! I'm glad to here you are safe and that you are not losing your accent! I love you and am thinking of you! Keep posting because I am living vicariously through your experience :)

    ReplyDelete