Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hmm...how to post pictures...


Hey again...there are two new posts below in case you don't see them. Things are great here. Lots of adventures. I do get very homesick now and again but then I remember why God sent me here and remember to live in the moment and make the most of my time here.

There is a parade going on outside of the coffee shop right now because today is the Day of the African Child. Crazy tunes...there's a marching band and everything! I wish I had my camera...blast!


The posts below pretty much sum up how things are going. But last night, it rained pretty heavily and these giant firefly-like moth creatures (like that description?) started swarming in our living room. Apparently they come in every time it rains and they can't be stopped. We were trying to watch a movie on Abbie's computer..."New in Town"...terrible movie. But the small airplane bugs kept congregating around my head! It was like they were obsessed with me...I mean, I can't blame them of course :) But I did not respond well...I don't work well with bugs if you didn't know that already, so you can imagine I made quite a spectacle of myself. Always a party...


I am going to school in a little while to plan for the week with Florence. We have a class this afternoon, but our other classes were cancelled for the day because another teacher was coming in to take them. That's cool with me...I enjoy the break. But, I think that we are going to try to start a creative writing club at Keyo SS. I am really excited about that! We are going to talk to some of the students about it today. As overwhelmed as I feel by the amount of work here, I feel so much purpose when I am at Keyo. Just being around the students and sharing in their stories...I don't know how much I will be able to accomplish in four weeks, but I will try as hard as I can. It's a start.

As happy as I will be to come home, I will miss this place and this family I am making here. They are such special people and I am very blessed to be "most welcome" among them.


Love y'all! Thank you for the encouraging comments! It means so much and really helps me keep going!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Lisa. I'm so glad you are writing this. It is fascinating to follow. I'm inspired by your reverence for the people and their courage.
    Peace,
    Vicki LaPlace

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your blog on facebook... i added it so i can follow! and what you're doing is so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Swetman! I hear you're having a lot of fun!
    I miss you a whole bunch!
    I hope the rest of the trip is awesome.

    -Blair Millet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    Being homesick is an constant ina traveller's life.
    I never know which place to miss. I appreciate all you are doing and learning. You area power house, keep it up.
    I have some things to share with you when you get back. You will never be the same, and that is why we do such adventures. I hope we can keep your interest back in safe little SJA!
    Looking forward to more blogs, great site, great writing!You ae an inspiration!
    Juliet

    ReplyDelete