Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Still They Rise


Wednesday, July 1, 2009 - (Be sure to see the safari post below as well)
This week in class, Florence is teaching the grammar and I am teaching a poetry unit. Although by “unit” I basically mean that I am teaching a poem or two. I also had them write an “I am” poem that was really fun.
But today, I decided to teach “Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou. I only wrote four of the stanzas on the board because there was not enough room for all of it, so I chose the ones that they could relate to the best.

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies.
You may trod me in the very dirt,
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries.

You may shoot me with your words.
You may cut me with your eyes.
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide
Leaving behind the nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave
I am the dream and the hope of the slave
I rise
I rise
I rise

I read through it once and then had them read it as a class. As they read, on each “I rise” I had a different student stand up. It was so powerful. They truly enjoyed it. I was actually surprised by their insights into the poem when I asked them to write what they thought the poem meant to the author and what it meant to them personally. I wish I could write all of their responses, but just to see their faces when they understood the meaning of the poem and the reality of rising out of struggle, overcoming, embracing freedom in the midst of oppression, etc…it was just beautiful. Today, I feel like I really made a difference…like I was able to let those who are dying to have a voice know that there are so many who are listening…today they felt empowered and I felt so humbled by the experience.
At the end, they asked me, “As a white American, what does this poem mean to you since it is addressing the white masters of the slaves?” I was dumbfounded for a moment. They asked if this poem created more segregation in the U.S. They are so incredibly insightful; I can’t get over it. I feel pretty good about my answer, but I was still floored.
I’m so proud to be a part of this program and Keyo Secondary School. I feel very blessed and I will miss my students very much. I wish there was more I could do…I wish I could come back…I just want to be sure that I never lose the memory of the way I feel right now.

2 comments:

  1. wow, lisa! what an awesome idea. i have to say, i am stealing it from you to use at broadmoor! i was brought to tears by this entry. thank you sooo much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem and great question. I wonder if any of my africian american students would feel free enought to ask that in a classroom at SJA.

    All good moments.
    I had good moments in France...so much history to walk through. A very different perspective than mission work and a different type of history of course.

    It is true though, people are people everywhere with personalities, needs, wants, cares. A smile is a smile...universal.

    I'm glad you are writing all of this down on a daily basis. I also am glad that I support IC financially; it feels good to know how the money is spent.

    Peace and love,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete